Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sonnets

In English class today, I learned about sonnets, both the Italian and English kind. As a project, I was given a task to write a sonnet. After experimenting with the sonnet rhyme scheme, I wrote Sonnet I. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to write a second, and then a third one. And so, without further ado, here they are. Jouir!


Sonnet I:

The Romance of Virtue


The virtues God-given, in love so divine,

No pride, no malice, no lust shall I endure.

May the patience and the virtue of love ever be mine,

So that the path to Ever-life be so sure.

Pride, the emotion of thyself as demure,

True, this emotion, this attitude I won’t condone.

Lust, to mine senses, there is no appeal, no lure,

So that my family, my relations, won’t be in Heaven, alone.

Malice I’ve suppressed, it has never, will never have grown,

To avoid temptation is my goal, my hope, my will.

May it be the Lord’s will as well, not just my own,

That I be holy, pure, untainted forever still.

If I walk in his footsteps daily, I pray,

I will see his face, his full, unrestrained glory someday.



Sonnet II:

The Romance of Emotion



Emotions like water, clear and transparent, yet reflective

Of what lies within the man, within the soul.

They express all that is inside, they are not protective,

Of what lies within the man, they do not withhold.

Emotions are dangerous, difficult to control,

But it is possible, with practice, to do so.

Sometimes, without a doubt, in our humanity, we’ll fall,

But it is possible to recover, you must know.

Though frosty winds may at your heart blow,

Never relent, never show fear, stay with the Lord.

Though over your heart, indifference may grow,

Never relent, never let go, stay with the Lord.

The romance of emotions is their ability to make you look good,

But they can sometimes make you do things you never would.

This last sonnet is in a modified form of my own. Instead of only having four sections, this one has eight. Some people may argue that it is now no longer a sonnet. Let them; I enjoyed writing it, and I hope you enjoy reading it.


Sonnet III:

Storm of Indifference



Why do you look at me in such a way,

As to tease me, and to lay before me the very fires of Hell?

Then leave me in such a way,

That what your true purpose was, I can never tell?

You are a storm of indifference, blowing so hard, so fierce.

You let go to waste everything in your path,

Man’s heart, you hesitate not to pierce.

You are a storm of grey wrath.

You are a storm of indifference, blowing with no heed to the world,

You tempt us all like Satan in the garden to Eve.

You care not for the disaster you leave behind on the world,

You look only at whose life next you will enter and leave.

You are a storm of indifference, blowing angrily without cause,

You plan to break us with your graceful fury,

Trouble and anger with no pause.

Growing until my vision is hazy, my sense of direction, blurry.

You are a storm of indifference, blowing hard and long,

My heart you rend, of my life you relieve me,

Your power and hold over me you find is strong.

You fly over my head and tempt my heart, woo me.

You are a storm of indifference, blowing in my face,

You twirl and playact so well to draw me in,

But now I know that you intend to put me in my place.

I have no joy, my mouth finds it hard to smile or grin.

You are a storm of indifference, and I have just now reached the Eye.

Now I have escaped you, you are no match for my Strength,

I am free to soar without you, without you I am free to fly.

Finally, I am saved from you, from you I’m saved, at length.

You are a storm of indifference, but you are not for me,

My Lord and Savior has banished you and set me free.

1 comment: