Monday, February 20, 2012

The Life and Times of Me: A Teenager's Outlook On Life.

February 8, 2012
The Life and Times of Me: A Teenager's Outlook On Life.
Ian James



Hello, subscribers. Welcome to my blog, "What's The Deal?!" This is my first blog, so bear with me. Hopefully you'll find it interesting. You may be wondering what the blog will be about. Well, as the title of this post indicates, it's about me; about my life. My life in South Korea and my life afterwards as I head off to college. I'll have movie reviews, book reviews, and music reviews as well. I may put in quotes that have inspired me. I may share short stories or poems that I have written. Whatever strikes me as something someone else might share my interest for. But, as with all introductions, a short bio is in order...
I am a teenage boy living on an Army post in South Korea. I can tell you that being an American in a foreign country is different. The language barrier always makes for interesting conversation. Thank God for international hand gestures. As if living in a foreign country wasn't enough adventure (it isn't really...), throw in the fact that I'm an Army brat on top of that and you get a very adventurous life. My family takes trips to the city of Seoul all the time. We've visited museums, palaces, and other popular landmarks. It's pretty amazing to visit a city of 10 million people. And slightly crowded.

My life right now consists of finishing my senior year of high school, playing my guitar, and reading/writing. Senior year doesn't deserve much attention, for several reasons. 1) It's not that interesting, and 2) I'll be happier when its over. Don't get me wrong, I like learning. I just don't enjoy being told what to learn.

As for the guitar, I've been playing for a year and two months. For anyone who's interested, I have a black Ibanez Gio Starter guitar. Nothing fancy, I know, but it serves me well.

Now, this is where I talk about my true passions; reading and writing. I've been reading since first grade, and writing ever since I could read. I started my first book when I was seven. After 8 years, I managed to reach page 50. Then I decided to scrap the book and move on. I still have the idea tucked away in the deepest recesses of my notes. Two years and many short stories later, I decided to try again at the novel-writing game. Page 50 on this book has come and gone, and I'm as determined as ever to finish my first book.


Finally, I've come to the future. My future, anyway. College is approaching fast; I search the mail daily for an acceptance letter. University of New Hampshire is my target school, but I've applied to the University of Colorado at Boulder as well. Possible majors are Education, Computer Engineering, and Computer Science. As for career, I've applied to the Air Force ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps). If accepted, I'll go to college for four years with the ROTC program. Afterwards, I will serve as an officer with a starting rank of Second Lieutenant for at least four years. My plan, however, is to serve the full 20 years and retire from the military at the age of 42.


So, there you have it. The Life and Times of Me. That's all I've got for you this time around. See you next post.

~Ian James~

Quote: "When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best—that is inspiration."
                                                                                                                    -Robert Bresson.

1 comment:

  1. You sound interesting and I look forward to reading your blogs! Best of luck with the Senior year and the book! How cool! I always wanted to write a children's book, I did, but never got anywheres, but having it typed up pretty. Sounds like you'll get much futher. Again, best of luck! Looking forward to reading more from you...

    ReplyDelete