Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: The Bourne Identity


Today, I would like to share a book that I very much enjoyed. The book is The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. So, please, enjoy the following book review.

   Robert Ludlum's 1980 New York Times bestseller, The Bourne Identity, is an incredible thriller that immerses and captures the reader from the get-go. Reading Bourne is like walking through a maze; there are surprises at every turn and you never know what will come at you next. Not until the last page do you actually know all the answers. Literally, the very last page. All throughout the book, Mr. Ludlum has us wondering, "Who is Jason Bourne?"

   Ludlum lays before us a man, fished out of the sea, riddled with bullets and plagued with amnesia. His face has been surgically altered and a frame of microfilm has been implanted in his hip. Jason Bourne is being hunted down by a murderous assassin named Carlos. He is racing for his life; towards what, though, he is unsure.

   Robert Ludlum's style of writing is one to be commended. It is descriptive and artistic. While sometimes the dialogue can be difficult to navigate and the book is long, its pace rarely slows down. I was quite impressed by it all.

   I unfortunately can't say too much about the plot of the story without giving important parts away. But I can say that it's well put together, and has no holes or missing parts. I also have to note that sometimes Bourne's outlook on life can be depressing and kind of repetitive, but that's really my only qualm with this book. The rest of it is awesome, and I highly recommend it.

~Ian James~

1 comment:

  1. The Bourne movies are one of the few that I have watched without first reading the books. It seems as though I need to check them out.

    ReplyDelete