Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why I Love Senior Year - Part 1

   While some middle schoolers out there might expect high school to be the way Troy and Gabriella had it, those of us who are actually in it know the truth: High school is not that fun. Sure, there are friends, assemblies, and school dances but they are never held in song with choreographed basketball movements. The individual years can also be broken down. Freshman year is a time of going from oldest and coolest in the school, to youngest and most looked down upon. Sophomore year is better; you know what you're doing and you know have students younger than you. Junior year could arguably be one of the best; driver's ed is a definite plus, not to mention that you are still enjoying youth, but are getting older and more mature.
  
   But to me, senior year trumps all, hands down. A shorter school year accompanies getting prepared to choose a career; searching for scholarships precedes the college experience. It signifies one of the largest turning points in life. For me, senior year has been the greatest time of my life. So far, anyway. I've had trigonometry, the first type of mathematics I have begrudgingly enjoyed. I've studied prose and poetry from the beginning of the English language to its present, gaining knowledge from such masters as St. Thomas More, William Shakespeare (of course), Robert Burns, Geoffrey Chaucer, Ben Jonson, John Donne, John Milton, Lord Byron, John Keats, Lord Alfred Tennyson, T.S. Eliot and many more besides. It has also been an adventure writing this very blog. Business Technology has enlightened and prepared me for my future career. I have studied American Government, learning about the inner-workings of our country's bureaucracy. The History of the Constitution has also been very enjoyable. Over all, it has been a very successful year, and it's not even over yet. I look expectantly to the future.

1 comment: